Grimshaw Farms was established in 2019 by Phillip and Taylor Grimshaw with the singular mission of serving Upstate South Carolina with nutritious and naturally raised lamb. We believe people should know where their food comes from, how it's raised, and be familiar with the people producing it. We welcome you to join us and feed your family the same way we feed ours!
Sheep, like all ruminants, thrive on lush thick pastures. The best way to grow healthy forage is to let pastures rest for extended periods of time and receive balanced levels of natural fertilizer (manure). Our sheep our rotated to new sections of pasture weekly so the grass and soil receive minimal compaction and the possibility of overgrazing is eliminated. Rotational grazing also plays a large part in promoting animal health because parasites have less opportunity to thrive.
When considering what our family wanted in lamb meat, the first thing we decided was no chemicals, which is why we don't use any herbicides on the pastures we are actively grazing. The beauty of sheep is they actually eat weeds. 60% of a sheep's diet consists of grass while the remaining 40% is broadleaf plants and forbs. This means that our animals eat the things that cattle leave behind, the only weed control done is by grazing and mowing.
Because soil is vital to a health ecosystem and productive farm, we don't use any conventional tillage on our pastures. We only use no-till seeders when over-seeding winter forage crops or revitalizing our perennial pastures. We also abstain from using synthetic fertilizers due to their tendency to reduce soil pH which requires limestone applications to correct. Our fertilizer is being spread everyday by the sheep who have a higher quality manure than cattle and horses. Considering this, and the factors mentioned above enable us to manage our livestock in a low maintenance way that is better for the soil, water, and wildlife on and around our farm.
Copyright © 2023 Grimshaw Farms - All Rights Reserved.